The rapid proliferation of mobile devices means consumers increasingly expect to be able to connect to a reliable, high speed wireless service wherever they are. Birmingham will continue its drive for ubiquitous high speed wireless coverage by focusing on several areas.
These include: continued negotiations with potential providers to improve the availability of free public Wi-Fi across the city; encouraging mobile network operators to expand and improve their mobile networks in Birmingham by making it increasingly easier and cheaper to do so; and working with landlords and developers to consider wireless connectivity for their developments in a holistic manner, to ensure superb coverage both inside and outside of properties.
- Telecommunications suppliers
- Mobile network operators
- BCC planning and regeneration department
- Digital Birmingham
- Birmingham landlords and developers
What makes this approach Smart?
Affordable Wi-Fi connections are key to digital inclusion and working with developers is about future proofing the city
Short Term Actions
- Create a free public Wi-Fi network across Birmingham city centre
- Expand the availability of free public Wi-Fi to as many public buildings as possible
- Enable mobile network operators to use street infrastructure to expand and build capacity in mobile networks
- Ensure all new developments consider digital connectivity as part of their planning proposals