The Digital Blueprint contains 10 far reaching recommendations for improving current and future digital infrastructure. To apply these practical processes, procedures need to be agreed for the council and developers to:
- Provide expert guidance to planners/developers
- Supervise installation and location of ducting
- Resolve funding and ownership of ducting and state aid implications aid.
- BCC planning and regeneration department
- Digital Birmingham
- Commercial developers
- Housing associations
What makes this approach Smart?
Joined up early planning enables better integration and use of infrastructure
Short Term Actions
- Seek guidance from the European Commission
- Review good practice elsewhere, e.g. Bristol and Rediffusion, Manchester and Oxford Street development (INCA)
- Resolve city procedures for gathering planning and location information in a standard format
- Consider procurement of an ‘open access ducting’ partner to manage and enable utilisation of ducting
- Assess planned developments to identify target areas for implementation (e.g. Icknield Port Loop) and link to Action B2